Sunday, June 7, 2009

Seussical the Musical

But sometimes the cast referred to it as 'Zeussical'. But either way, it closed yesterday and I am of the opinion that it went well. Opening night we had a large crowd of school children and they enjoyed the show. At least, they seemed to from the stage. They weren't restless or anything during the performance so I would take that to be a strong indicator that they enjoyed the show.

Each night the show got a little tighter and faster. I can't speak for the cast, but my best performance night was on either the 4th or the 5th of June. However, my most accurate performance was on closing night. Last night, in point of fact.

To be honest, I had more fun with this show than I was anticipating. I mean, the script is almost completely music with a few lines of pure dialogue interspersed here and there. So really, this show is like unto a Singspiel (prn. zing-shpeel). For those of you who don't speak German or didn't take Intro to Music History with Prof. Whitehead (awesome class, btw), a Singspiel is a type of German opera where there are small snippets of dialogue between the songs. It's probably the closest to contemporary American musical theatre that I've ever heard or seen.

Be that as it may, I found that working on this show helped get through some issues of my own that were highly personal. Still, I think that I learned a few things about myself and how to improve my own skill as an actor and my wisdom as a young adult.

I ended my career at SVU with one hell of a bang!
-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment